Expunging Criminal Records in California
Expungement is the process of sealing records of past arrests or criminal convictions. Years after the arrest or conviction for a crime, many people find that they are still plagued by their past mistakes. Having a criminal record can make it difficult to find employment, secure a loan, and obtain housing, but you may be able to seal your record through expungement.
If you are able to successfully complete the expungement process, your record will be inaccessible and essentially erased from public record, which means employers, friends, and the general public will not be able to find any information about your arrest or conviction. The knowledgeable criminal attorney at The Law Office of Marc S. Kohnen can represent your interests and assist you with filing for the expungement of your criminal records.
Requirements of Expungement
In most cases, a person is eligible to expunge their records of a misdemeanor or felony offense if:
- They successfully completed probation, which means:
- They completed all the terms of probation, such as paying fines and restitution and completing any court ordered counseling or community service;
- They attended all necessary court appearances in person or through their attorney; and
- They did not commit any other criminal offenses while on probation.
- They are not currently charged with a crime, on probation for a crime, or serving time for a crime
A person is ineligible for expungement if any of the following are true of their situation:
- They were sent to state prison as part of their original sentence or for a probation violation
- If they were convicted of certain serious felony offenses, such as:
- PC 261.5 (d) – Statutory rape
- PC 286 (c) – Sodomy with a child
- PC 288 – Lewd acts with a child
- PC 288a (c) – Oral copulation with a child
If you believe you are eligible to seek expungement, Attorney Marc Kohnen and his team can assist you with filing the necessary paperwork and represent you during the expungement hearing.
Let a San Diego expungement attorney help seal your criminal record in California!
The Law Office of Marc S. Kohnen has defended countless clients against criminal charges, and they can provide you with skilled representation during the expungement process. Attorney Kohnen can evaluate your case to determine if you are eligible for expungement and then guide you through the proceedings and help you file all required documents.
Don’t allow your past to continue to hurt your life; contact the firm today to discuss your options to expunge your criminal records.